Monday, August 29, 2011

Sexy Maharishi and Meditation Blues

Sexy Sadie what have you done
You made a fool of everyone
You made a fool of everyone
Sexy Sadie ooh what have you done
Sexy Sadie you broke the rules
You layed it down for all to see
You layed it down for all to see
Sexy Sadie oooh you broke the rules
One sunny day the world was waiting for a lover
She came along to turn on everyone
Sexy Sadie the greatest of them all
Sexy Sadie how did you know
The world was waiting just for you
The world was waiting just for you
Sexy Sadie oooh how did you know
Sexy Sadie you'll get yours yet
However big you think you are
However big you think you are
Sexy Sadie oooh you'll get yours yet
We gave her everything we owned just to sit at her table
Just a smile would lighten everything
Sexy Sadie she's the latest and the greatest of them all
She made a fool of everyone
Sexy Sadie
However big you think you are
Sexy Sadie

Lennon originally wanted to title the song, Maharishi, because he was disillusioned with him due to his allegedly making a sexual advance towards Mia Farrow, but he was talked out of using that title by George Harrison and came up with Sexy Sadie instead. Lennon once said of the song:

"That was inspired by Maharishi. I wrote it when we had our bags packed and were leaving. It was the last piece I wrote before I left India. I just called him, 'Sexy Sadie,' instead of (sings) 'Maharishi what have you done, you made a fool...' I was just using the situation to write a song, rather calculatingly but also to express what I felt. I was leaving the Maharishi with a bad taste. You know, it seems that my partings are always not as nice as I'd like them to be.


Joyce Collin-Smith, the author of Call No Man Master, was a very close disciple of Maharishi who organized his work from the very beginning of his movement. After the incident with the Beatles leaving she wrote:

“Some of us started to cast our minds back, and to see for the first time the significant of a period when he had first begun locking his door in the afternoons, closeted with one young woman or another.”

And then there was the matter of meditation that was told would bring peace to the mind, and it did for the most part but at a great cost, depending on your views. Maharishi had stated that there were certain mantras that would cause one to withdraw from society, and they were to be used only for those who had taken monastic vows. He said that OM was one such mantra that should never be used as it caused his own people to be so passive. So he used mantras designed for the householder with the indent that they would not cause one to withdraw from society.

Soon it was learned that it didn’t matter what mantra you used, the results were the same, but Maharishi seemed oblivious to this fact. Joyce wrote of this:

“A desire to withdraw from life, and to be committed to no-one and to nothing, seemed to be growing in them (his disciples). They were no longer as active or interested in the world as they had been…He was dealing with people who were becoming recluse-like, householder mantras notwithstanding.

…A few had alarming experiences, not unlike a cataleptic trance…then there was tingling, trembling, quivering of the spine, and occasionally sexual stimulation or erotic visions….They found satisfaction in the meditation, and drifted around unwilling to work or do anything in the world. I began to notice that professional people also seemed to be affected by this curious lethargy.

…Those who could at first have moved mountains by their energy and efficiency, now had not the will to do anything much…The movement seemed to grow almost entirely as a result of Maharishi’s own will and determination, and his conscious manipulation of the people and the situations he encountered. Nobody seems to have any will but his. They wanted to sit at his feet and just be happy.”

This really gives a new meaning to meditation. Instead of making you more creative it can make you more compliant to the wishes of a master. It appears to me as a form of mind control or brainwashing. Or at the least what one exTMer said, It causes "psychological destruction." To me, it gives new meaning to the word used by gurus, "destroy the ego". It also reminds me of the saying, "losing your soul." and also how hippies took LSD, which in turn caused them to drop out of society. And how many of these early disciples of Maharishi were first taking LSD?

But this hasn't been true of everyone. Many have just tuned into the experience of Love, and some like Ram Dass have used this love to help others, such as prisoners or those dying. So this isn't all black and white to me.

http://www.suggestibility.org/surprise.php

"Anything you do in meditation that interferes with the simple joys of living, or with the flow of desire into action, is going to have vast and far-reaching implications for your life. If you spend a year practicing detachment in meditation, it may take you five years to recover your sense of zest and spontaneity in life. You may find yourself feeling detached emotionally and get divorced as a consequence, and this may be good or bad, who knows? In general, if you practice meditation as a war on the self, you will tend toward becoming broke, lonely, and weak. This is actually good from the point of view of the cult-like meditation schools: it means you are ready to take vows as a monk or nun."
Above comment from: http://www.lorinroche.com/page8/page8.html

As I had said in my other posts, I had noticed this withdrawing from the world in disciples in both Hinduism and Buddhism. I remember telling an SRF minister that I was never lonely in my life until I came to the temple on Sundays, because people preferred to just meditate and did not wish to socialize. But no matter how hard he tried to change this, people could not change. It never affected me much in this way, and for that I am grateful, but I had lost my love for reading, and it took a long time to get that back after I quit meditating.

There were also so many sinister and frightening things that went on in Maharishi’s movement that I kept asking myself, “Why she didn’t leave when she first saw things that were disturbing?” But then I realize that it isn’t easy leaving, and perhaps it was as he had said often enough: “Get them in the net! They can’t escape.” At least they can’t for a while, and some who were closest to him seemed to know that it was best to slip quietly away in the night.

After Joyce left TM, but she wrote:

“It took me at least two years of inner, private struggle, to return to a mode of living where I could think lucidly, read books again, converse and enjoy the company of friends.”

…I had robbed myself of my God-given talents, intended for usage in this world.”

How often had she heard others comments that went along this vein:

“The ballet used to be my life. Now it’s just the way I earn my living. Or “I don’t seem to want to paint any more. I’d rather just sit in the sun,” or “I can’t get on with writing my book.”

And then she added:

“Realizing that the vital part of me was now non-functioning, I set myself to live without it, adjusting as best I could as though I had a paralyzed limb. Who could tell how long it might be before the life force could flow through it again? It was in fact ten years.”

But what was more surprising to me was her allegations against Maharishi in the murder of Lennon and the Beatles manager:

She writes:

"He wanted to use their fame...They would be useful to him but only if they were free."
Maharishi actually wanted them to come back to India with them, but Epstein, their manager, had said No. "One night, while they still sat with him at Bangor, Epstein left the party at the house in Sussex, and quite late-and without any explanation or apparent reason-drove back to his flat in London...He took a vast overdose of sleeping pills, went to bed and did not wake again...The Beatles were utterly dsitraught. They were also bewildered, for there seemed absolutely no reason for him to take his own life at a time when everything was going very well...the four boys turned to Maharishi for solace and comfort. It seemed he alreadsy knew what had happened, although he could not have heard by normal means. He said no words of sorrow. 'Now you will be able to come to India with me", was all he said.

A cold hand seemed to clutch at my heart, as I heard this news. I reflected on all that I had observed of Maharishi's power and his ruthless will."

And then of Lennon's death she wrote:

"Lennon suddenly denounced Maharishi at a press conference in the USA, partly on the grounds that he apparently had a considerable sex life.

Lennon stated: "We stayed up all night discussing, was it true or not? We went to see Maharishi, the whole gang of us, the next day. I sas the spokesman. I said: "We're leaving." He gave me a look like: "I'll kill you, you bastard'."

"But Lennon, facing a mad, mysterious assassin who apparently believed himself to be the true JOhn Lennon, died, like Brian Epstein, a premature and inexplicable death...But remembering the naked anger and hatred that could blaze out of Maharishi's eyes, I shiver when I think of it to this day."

More information: http://brontebaxter.wordpress.com/2008/04/17/where-have-all-the-flower-children-gone/

And another Beatles song:

He's a real nowhere man,
Sitting in his Nowhere Land,
Making all his nowhere plans
for nobody.

Doesn't have a point of view,
Knows not where he's going to,
Isn't he a bit like you and me?

Nowhere Man please listen,
You don't know what you're missing,
Nowhere Man, the world is at your command!

He's as blind as he can be,
Just sees what he wants to see,
Nowhere Man can you see me at all?

Nowhere Man, don't worry,
Take your time, don't hurry,
Leave it all till somebody else
lends you a hand!

Doesn't have a point of view,
Knows not where he's going to,
Isn't he a bit like you and me?

Nowhere Man please listen,
you don't know what you're missing
Nowhere Man, the world is at your command!

He's a real Nowhere Man,
Sitting in his Nowhere Land,
Making all his nowhere plans
for nobody.
Making all his nowhere plans
for nobody.
Making all his nowhere plans
for nobody!

No comments:

Post a Comment